Saturday, 13 February 2016

What's the point of suffering?

When I look back at my life to date, I see a landscape of extreme beauty: beaches, lakes and trees, mountains and gently wooded valleys, streams and waterfalls leaping off high rocky cliffs. There are much loved people who smile at me, there are beautiful cities and villages, there is industry, commerce, theatres and concert halls.

Look a little closer though, and I can see swamps, quicksands, dead end roads and whole areas laid waste, as if devastated by fire, or flood. I have known much happiness in my life: happiness from friends, family, partners, from my work, from places I have visited and people I have known. I have also known suffering, broken dreams, loss and grief. And I often wonder what the point of it was, and what the point of my life is. I don't know yet. I am at a turning point, an axis, a time of decisions, on which the rest of my life will be built.

I want to learn, to explore, to discuss, what suffering is and what the point of it is. Surely we don't go through these excoriating experiences for nothing? I don't subscribe to the 'Everything happens for a reason,' mantra, sometimes, shit just does happen and there is no reason, nothing to learn, nothing good can come out of it at all. But I want to know whether what has happened to me over the last year, has any point, any learning to it, or should I just give up now, cut my losses and resolve to live a live without meaning, where I just get by from day to day. Oh, but I want more. I want much more. I want to love, I want to change things, I want to help others and I want...no I need...to help myself.
Because if I can't do that, I can do nothing.

I am planning to interview religious leaders from major and minor traditions, philosophers, writers, artists and cultural figures, psychologists and psychotherapists, scientists, historians, archaeologists and anthropologists and those who deal with mythology and story. I also want to talk to those who have known suffering and survived, and those who have known suffering and feel their lives are marked by it forever.


Please get in touch if you know of anyone who can help in my quest!

No comments:

Post a Comment