I made one of my rare visits to my local Quaker meeting this morning. Both of the people who spoke at Meeting really moved me, and it felt as if they were speaking directly to me, so much so that I kept nodding and smiling as they spoke, which may have looked rather strange to everyone else.
Or possibly not. One of the great things about Quakers is that I honestly don't think they care about the outsides of people, but value their insides. Quakers were one of the first religious groups to speak publicly in favour of gay marriage, back in the 60's, at a time when homosexuality was still illegal.
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/sep/13/quakers-50-years-affirmation-gay-rights
The first Quaker to minister today, talked about his mother's 100th Birthday party the previous weekend. He said that he no longer needed to wonder about what wisdom was as he lived with it every day. It made me think about my relationship with my own mother, whom I don't value as much as I should. The bible text, 'Honour thy father and mother,' came to mind. I know that the way I behave towards my mother is not as it should be, and this troubles me. And I am the only one who can do something about it. Day by day, minute by minute, I can try a little harder. As long as I can forgive myself when I get it wrong. I don't need more shame in my life but less. But I also need to be realistic about my shortcomings, and my successes.
The other Friend to speak was a vibrant local artist who had a stroke almost a year ago. She spoke of her frustration at being told she would never walk again but also of her gratitude that she still had her sight. She spoke of how continued gratitude could cause other doors to open and described how this was beginning to happen for her. I wanted to cry. I am grateful for many of the blessings in my life and hope I can continue to be.
I am grateful that I am constantly given lessons about how to live this crazy life.

No comments:
Post a Comment