Saturday, 8 February 2014

Inside...

...Llewyn Davies. An utterably bleak film. Llewyn walks the snowy streets of 60s New York facing disaster after disaster.

He loses a cat, he finds another cat, only to run it over. He almost gives up on his singing career.

He behaves pretty badly to many people.

He rails at his sister for just existing.

His life seems full of struggle. I struggled to like him, but couldn't hate him.

And, in truth, many people live lives that are like this. What fragments can we shore against the ruins of our lives?

'These fragments I have shored against my ruins.'

― T.S. EliotThe Waste Land and Other Poems

I guess there is nothing wrong with just existing, because sometimes, just existing is a triumph in itself.

Inside what we call life, survival is the key. After we have started to survive, we can start to live.

My fragments that I shore against my life are my friends, my family, my books and my music.

And now, my writing.

And that is good enough, and will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment